He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
– John 3:36.
Heaven or Hell? If you were to die today, where would you spend eternity? Eternity is forever. Wherever you go, you will not get out. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (Hebrews 9:27).
We are all sinners. We have all broken God’s laws. We are all deserving of eternal hell fire.
The Ten Commandments
Which of these have you NOT broken?
- I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Have you ever placed anyone or anything above God?
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image…Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.
Have you spent more time with the TV than with God?
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Have you ever said “G__ damn it?”
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Have you ever failed to keep God’s holy day holy?
- Honor thy father and thy mother.
Have you ever yelled at or cussed out your parents, even if they couldn’t hear it?
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Lusting after someone is the same as committing adultery with them in your heart (Matthew 5:28). Have you ever done this?
- Thou shalt not steal.
Can you honestly say that you have never stolen anything, including anything very small?
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Have you ever blamed someone else for something that you did?
- Thou shalt not covet.
Do you lust after things? Covetousness is akin to idolatry. (Colossians 3:5)
Friend, none of us deserve heaven. We all deserve to spend eternity in hell. God is just and holy, and will not let sin go unpunished. However, God is also loving and merciful. He sent His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to take our punishment, to take our place. He died on the cross to take away the sins of the world, and He rose from the dead three days later.
He offers you the free gift of forgiveness and eternal salvation. Do not think that you posess this forgiveness automatically; He offers you the gift, but you must receive it for it to be yours. Also, do not think that you have to decide between heaven and hell. If you haven’t accepted Christ, you are already on your way to hell. The choice you have is to accept Christ’s sacrifice as the payment for your sins, or pay for your sins yourself.
Friend, sin is a bondage. It doesn’t satisfy. It always wants to drag you deeper and farther than you wanted to go. It will destroy you and your family. What sin are you struggling with? Jesus can free you. Whether it be rage, bitterness, gambling, drugs, alcohol, pornography, swearing, lust, adultery, homosexuality, covetousness, gluttony, greed, idolatry, witchcraft or even murder, the Lord Jesus is ready and willing to forgive and free you. You must be willing to repent of your sins and turn away from them. If you do not want to give up your sin, you are not ready to accept Christ’s forgiveness.
If you are ready to accept Christ, pray to God, in your own words*, addressing the following:
- Your sin in the presence of a holy God.
- Your willingness and desire to repent of your sins.
- Your acceptance of Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour from your sins.
If you have accepted Christ, please visit Principles of the Doctrine of Christ to learn the basics of the Christian faith.
* Canned prayers give the reader the impression that all they have to do is repeat a formula and then they’re right with God. This has left many, including myself, thinking that they were forgiven when they were really not. The true salvation prayer must come from a repentant heart.