We are pleased to announce the beginning of development of Bible SuperSearch version 4.0. This is still in the planning stages, but will include all of the functionality of the current (2.x) release and most of the features of the unreleased ‘Pro’ (3.0) version.
This will be a complete rebuild and rewrite of the software from the database up, with full optimization. It will be built as a webservice API, with plugins for Drupal, Joomla, WordPress and other popular content management systems. As now, it will also be able to be ran on a generic website. Building it as a webservice will allow for much easier installation, and will also allow developers to develop their own user interfaces for the software. The software for the webservice API will also be released, so that websites can run their own webservice if they want, and not have to depend on ours.
Features that will be added in 4.0:
- Italicization of added words
- Strongs number search
- Strongs definitions
- Native plugins for common CMSs including WordPress, Drupal and Joomla
- Optimized verse proximity search (as it currently runs very slow)
- More options for displaying, copying, and printing text.
Features that may be added in 4.0:
- Embedded Strongs numbers (for Bible modules that support it)
- Statistics including readability statistics
This is by no means a complete list. In addition, the new webservice will be able to produce any common webservice format, including XML, SOAP, JSON and JSONP.
Notice: [biblesupersearch_legacy] shortcode is removed in version 2.6 and higher. Please install the official WordPress plugin and use [biblesupersearch]
This release adds the functionality to allow Bible SuperSearch to be used as a WordPress plugin.
This adds a WordPress shortcode [biblesupersearch_legacy]. This shortcode takes the following arguments:
- interface: Bible SuperSearch interface to display (default: user_friendly2)
- iframe_id: ‘id’ attribute of the iframe tag. Must be unique. Don’t change this if you don’t know what you’re doing.
All users are urged to apply this update, as a serious security issue has been discovered and fixed.
In addition, several bugs were fixed, and mysql deprecation errors have been hidden when running in PHP 5.5+. A future release will switch to a non-deprecated mysql extension.
The Bible SuperSearch renovations are complete. In the future, we will be working on special tools for the original Bible languages of Greek and Hebrew, which will be part of Bible SuperSearch Pro. Please stay tuned.
Bible SuperSearch 2.1.00 has been released.
This new release features several improvements and bug fixes, including:
- A new authentication system for installer. The installer should now work on more servers. (Many were having trouble with the installer.)
- The system can now handle large Bibles that require more than 3 module files.
- Highlighting revised to handle quotes in the text.
- Issues with the advanced search page and Internet Explorer/Firefox for Windows resolved
- New Bible modules:
- Thai KJV
- Spanish Reina Valera 1858 NT
- Textus Receptus – Parsed
- Other minor bug fixes
- Fixed <div> tag imbalance that may disrupt some website’s formatting.
- Issues with using period in references.
- Internet Explorer and Firefox for Windows format issues
- Random Chapter/Verse now works for user_friendly2 interface
- Proximity/Chapter search with only one word now works, acts as a basic search
- Fixed bugs in the Bible search tester.
To learn how to integrate Bible SuperSearch with vBulletin forum software:
An issue preventing the Bible tester from working has been resolved in the latest release. This release is only available as a patch.
This issue resulted in the tester giving a false negative for every test, even when the Bibles are installed properly and the Bible search is working.
Download Patch 2.0.71 if this is an issue for you. (If the Bible search is working properly, you don’t need to apply this patch.)
A new version of Bible SuperSearch has been released. 2.0.70 includes a completely new, much faster proximity search algorithm. Also added as an extension of the proximity search is the capability to search for all words, within a chapter. (All words must be in the same chapter, but not necessarily in the same verse.)
Also in this release are many bug fixes, especially in the passage lookup syntax, and a revised user guide.
Bible SuperSearch website has been updated to a simpler, cleaner format.
More changes are coming in the future.
Please let me know what you think of the new format.
Bible SuperSearch 2.0 is the latest major release of Bible SuperSearch.
New Features include:
Parallel Bible – look up and search in up to 4 different Bible versions
User-friendly, improved interface
More interfaces to choose from
Advanced search interface
Text size/font options
Proximity search – find words within 5 verses, or N verses
Easy to use HTML help
Easy configuration of interfaces and other options in Installation Manager
Remote Module Installation – allows installing Bibles without having to upload them to your server (Please note, this feature is experimental).
For the full list of Bible SuperSearch’s features, click here:
New Bible Modules:
Textus Receptus Greek NT
Bible Kralicka (Czech) *
Finnish 1776 *
Lithuanian Bible *
Maori Bible *
* Due to space considerations, these modules must be downloaded separately.